Thursday, August 28, 2008

shella



My grandmother (we called her Shella) was such an amazing woman.  I would go stay with her some during the summer and she and her best friend would take me all over!  We went shoe shopping and met all of their friends for Tab every morning to catch up on the latest gossip in the town.  She was a blast!  Sadly, the last few years of her life were taken by alzheimers.  She was not the woman that we all knew.  She didn't know us, but did know her "husband" but couldn't even call him by name.  She would sit for hours at the kitchen table with a blank stare.  On a lighter note, when we would go see her, she would always have this little black hair growing from her chin.  I know this sounds gross, but bear with me here...My mom, sister and I would have to find laughter in something, so my mom would immediately pluck the hair on the chin and we would laugh at how she would have hated to look the way she did at this time. Each time we went to see her, the hair was back and we would laugh and Mom would take care of it.  



Fast forward a few years....


When I was pregnant with Abigail, my mom and I were shopping at Carters.  She found this pink rabbit that plays a sweet song.  She was about to buy it and put it back because she had already bought this baby too many new things!  Well, I took one look at it and said she had to buy it.  It had ONE black string hanging from its chin!  
Abby has grown quite attached to this pink bunny.  She sleeps with it and when she doesn't feel good she just sits and hugs it.  Shella would have loved Abby and Abby would have loved Shella. What a way to think about my precious grandmother every single day!

6 comments:

Robinson Family said...

What a sweet and special story. Shella would laugh to know how she has lived on, but would be so pleased to know she can still comfort little Abby in a way. And TAB! I LOVED Tab!
Am really missing you. Wish I could go to BU's homecoming! It is our 10th. Oh my! Next year?

Dunhams said...

What a sweet story and such a neat way for Abby to remember someone special.

Michelle Hausz said...

That is just so sweet. I can't believe how big she is!

Brooke said...

So sweet Mandy. Thanks for sharing. What a special little toy for Abby to grow up loving.

Mer said...

I love this post Mando. Shella would be so proud of the wife and mom you've become. I wish I could've known her before this very sad disease took her away. Although I never "knew" her, I did watch with great appreciation as your Peepaw loved her and took care of her. Abby will hear LOTS of stories about those two, and what a sweet little reminder for you to have and for her to already be attached to.

Kelli said...

Such a sweet story!