Wednesday, March 18, 2009

18 months old









Today is Abner's 18 month old birthday!  A whole year and a half.  Unreal.  I truly can't believe that much time has gone by since September 18, 2007.  

Abby and I had a great day celebrating today!  Actually, we spent most of the day outside.  We went to the park, took a walk around the neighborhood and had some friends over this morning to play.  

Abby is all over the place these days.  She talks all the time.  Currently, she loves all the Sesame Street characters and can name them all.   Abby loves books, loves to dance, and is really into belly buttons....if you will sit long enough, she will show you where yours is.    She is not a real social bug.  She gets nervous around a lot of people and we are constantly working on that.  She still takes extremely short naps during the day.  She takes one nap that is about 45 min. long.  It makes for a LONG day. I am not gonna lie.  However, she sleeps great at night and goes down when the sun is still up!  Abs is addicted to her "pappy" and bunny that she sleeps with.  

Her smile melts my heart and her fits sometimes make me want to cry myself.  Abby seems to learn something new every day and it seems I am learning too.  I never thought that being a mom would be a difficult thing for me.  I taught some seriously disturbed kids  (I mean really crazy kids) and I didn't think anything would ever be as hard as what I dealt with in the classroom.  I was so wrong.  I love Abby more than anything and wouldn't trade her for the entire world, but it is a constant struggle for me.  Each day brings its ups and downs.  Some days bring tears.  Most days bring smiles.  And at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  She is my joy and my precious little one.  She is MINE and I love her with all my heart.  

11 comments:

Dunhams said...

Such a sweet post, Mandy! That made me cry :) It's hard to believe that Abby is 18 months already; it really sounds so old!! I love all the pics you got of her...such a pretty smile!

Meredith said...

Wow - you got a lot of smiles from her! I always feel lucky if I get one smile picture from Reid!

I totally hear you about being a mom and its frustrations - especially during this hard stage of development!!!

Melissa said...

So great seeing you today! Luke loved the park! Happy half b-day Abby!

Liz Goodman said...

You are a wonderful mom and have been so strong during such a challenging year and a half! God has blessed you with a precious little girl who loves you so much! Don't ever forget that - especially when you want to cry. I love you sis!

Jen said...

Your post made me cry too! You are an amazing Mom. You are not alone in how you feel. Being a mom is hard! It's so rewarding, but a constant challenge. Abs is a sweet, beautiful girl who knows what she wants. This phase of testing all the limits and not being able to completely communicate everything she is feeling is so hard. Apparently (according to our moms) you and I were both the same stubborn little girls and look how great we turned out!! :) Love you, friend.

Happy half-Birthday, Sweet Abs!

Mer said...

Yikes Mando! That was the sweetest post! You think these blogs will be around for the kiddos to read one day??? If so, Abner needs to check that one out. You are a sweet mamma! I can't believe she's pushing her baby down the street!!! Seems like you were just pushing your own (screaming) baby down the street..ha! Glad you can laugh now:) Love you!!!

Leslie said...

You are such a wonderful mom to Abby and one of the sweetest friends I have. I always look to your for encouragement. It is nice to have an honest friend who isn't trying to put up a front for anyone. I love that about you and it's rare to find these days. Keep on keeping on my friend. I can't wait to see you and Abby again and maybe Bo too!
And Abby is so beautiful!

Robinson Family said...

Your little "Abner" (as you said) is gorgeous! What a little lady, and with just enough spice and sass to keep life interesting ;-). She and Riley need to get together and talk about Elmo and Sesame because that's ALL he wants to do if a basketball is not around.

Katie said...

Happy 18 months, Abs! We can't wait to see you next week.

Be nice to your mama! ; )

Ashley said...

Look at those smiles! Love them! She is precious and you are AMAZING. I love you much and miss you tons.

Kimberly said...

You said something to me once when I asked you how you coped with the colic months...you said "I kept telling myseld at least she is healthy and that is all tha matters!" I have told myself that a million times since when we have our challenging days..at least they are healthy! I love you and your sweet baby! Miss you so much! Got the cats sorted out! Thanks for the message! Hope Abs is feeling well today!